There are many mattress types available in the market. The question is which mattress type is best suited for your sleeping style and preferences. Let’s explore the pros and cons of each mattress type to give you a better idea.
Pros of latex mattress
- Latex mattresses provide both comfort and support. You will feel the stresses of the day fade away as it relieves your pressure points.
- You won’t feel your partner’s twisting and turning. The latex can easily absorb shocks and movements which means you will be undisturbed through the night.
- You will feel cool throughout the night. The open cell structure of latex will allow air to flow freely through it, keep the surface temperatures cool even in the hot weather.
- Latex is an extremely durable material. A latex mattress will be able to last for 10 years or more with proper care.
Cons of latex mattress
- Latex mattresses are expensive. They cost more than spring and memory foam mattresses, often a few hundred dollars more. This higher cost is justified by its durability. As we mentioned, latex mattresses last longer so the cost when averaged out through the years is pretty similar.
- They are heavy. If you plan to move your mattress around regularly, you may find it a chore to carry a latex one.
Pros of air mattress
- You can change the firmness level anytime. There is no way you can do this with any other type of mattresses. This feature is especially useful if you are using it as a guest bed.
- It is cooling to sleep on. Most air mattresses are made of PVC and will not hold heat in. In the Singapore weather, this is a huge benefit.
- You can bring it around easily. Whether moving from one room to another or even a different house, an air mattress is super portable. You can simply deflate it now and inflate it later.
- It is usually cheaper than any other type of mattresses.
Cons of air mattress
- If there is a leak or hole, the air mattress becomes unusable. While air mattresses are relatively sturdy and durable, sharp objects can puncture it. If that happens, it is goodbye.
Memory Foam Mattress
Pros of memory foam mattress
- Sleeping on a memory foam mattress is very comfortable. The memory foam envelops and cradles you. It absorbs the weight and pressure of your body and distributes it along the entire bed. You’ll almost feel like you are sleeping on a fluffy piece of cloud.
- Absorbs movement of anyone on it. You or your partner will appreciate this because you’ll no longer be disturbed by each other’s turning or movement on the bed.
- No squeaking sounds, unlike some spring mattresses, giving you peaceful and quiet nights.
- You don’t need to flip or turn your memory foam unlike other types of mattresses.
- They last a long time, often longer than spring mattresses. Good quality memory foam mattresses can last for 10 years and more without a drop in quality.
Cons of memory foam mattress
- It can get hot. In hot and humid Singapore, sleeping on a memory foam mattress may not be as cooling. If you turn on the fan or air conditioner, it should alleviate this problem. Also, there is a new type of memory foam mattress – the gel foam mattress. It offers all the benefits of memory foam but claims to reduce the heating issue. You should consider the gel foam mattress if you do not usually sleep with the air conditioner turned on.
- Some memory foams give off a smell that is unpleasant to some. Usually, this smell goes away after airing and using it for a few weeks.
Pocketed Spring Mattress
Pros of pocketed spring mattress
- Pocketed spring mattresses provide good support. Springs are grouped into hundreds of different units which are then able to support your weight at all different areas of the bed. You will get a better night sleep with a pocketed spring mattress rather than an innerspring mattress.
- It makes sleeping with your significant other more enjoyable. You won’t be able to feel the movements of your partner as the pocketed coils will negate it.
Cons of pocketed spring mattress
- You need to pay a decent amount to get a good pocketed spring mattress. They are more expensive than innerspring mattresses because of the complexity of construction.
- The quality of a pocketed spring mattress is highly dependent on the type of foam covering it. Good pocketed springs with bad foam do not work well to provide a good night’s sleep. You need both of them to be good. Better foam also means your mattress will be more expensive.
Pros of innerspring mattress
- Innerspring mattresses are very affordable. If you are on a budget, an innerspring mattress is a godsend. It provides decent quality at a cheap price. You can save up to 50% by choosing an innerspring rather than a latex or memory foam mattress.
- It is pretty cooling. As an innerspring mattress has a low density of foam, it retains less heat. You will be able to enjoy a cooler night as a plus point.
- You can find an innerspring mattress almost anywhere, both online and offline stores. Any furniture store, big or small, will carry an innerspring mattress.
Cons of innerspring mattress
- You will feel every turn and squirm. An innerspring mattress does not absorb movements well. If you are sharing your bed with your partner, an innerspring mattress may not be the best choice.
- The innerspring mattress does not adapt to your body’s weight distribution. As a result, it does not provide enough pressure relief. It feels very firm and hard to sleep on.
- An innerspring mattress does not last very long. It suffers from sagging and unevenness after several years of use. Usually, you will need to change it after 3 to 5 years if you want a good night’s sleep.
Pillow Top Mattress
Pros of pillow top mattress
- A mattress with a pillow top is very comfortable to sleep on. The combination of the softness of the pillow top with the firm mattress is the sweet spot for the majority of sleepers. There is a clear difference in comfort between a mattress with a pillow top and without. Once you get a pillow top, you will always want it.
- A pillow top conforms to your body shape and position. It almost feels like the bed is giving you a snug hug. Again, this adds to how comfortable a pillow top is.
Cons of pillow top mattress
- A pillow top is not very durable. As it comes directly under the pressure of your body every night, wear and tear is inevitable. What usually happens is that the pillow top gets thinner and thinner over time. After a couple of years, the comfortable effect may disappear because it is too thin. A way to combat this con is to get a thicker pillow top so that it can last longer.
Pros of waterbed mattress
- It is an enjoyable and relaxing experience. Jumping on a waterbed for the first time is an eye-opener. You really do feel like you are out at sea, right in your bedroom.
- A waterbed conforms to your body’s position. The fluidity of the water means it adapts almost instantaneously to any body movement.
Cons of waterbed mattress
- A waterbed offers little support to your spine and back. In general, at least 50% of sleepers will not find a waterbed good. You may wake up with an aching back until you get used to it. That may take weeks or even months.
- Finding sheets and a bedframe may be difficult. Some waterbeds do not follow standard sizes. As a result, you may need to customize fittings for it which will make it more expensive and less convenient.
- Once it develops a leak, the bed is done for. Waterbeds are made of vinyl which is a durable material. Over time, with wear and tear, there is a chance for the vinyl to peel off. Once this happens, you will need to replace the entire waterbed.
Pros of hybrid mattress
- The customizability of hybrid mattresses means you can choose the firmness level that you want. If you have an exact firmness that you like, a hybrid mattress would be the best choice. Comparatively, some mattress types like innerspring have only hard levels.
- It has good motion isolation. The different layers of a hybrid mattress mean it can absorb movements very well. It is an excellent bed for couples.
- Hybrid mattress provides good support for your spine and back. By combining foam and spring, you get the best of both worlds – support and comfort. This is why hybrids are so popular nowadays.
Cons of hybrid mattress
- Hybrid mattresses are expensive. They require more materials and workmanship than a single type mattress. You will find hybrid mattresses in the mid to premium tier brands. That being said, a good night’s sleep is worth much more.
- It can be quite heavy. If it is a permanent fixture, then it should not be a problem. However, if you need to move it for spring cleaning, it may be a two person job.