Buying a leather sofa is a rite of passage that does not necessarily get easier but these tips will guide you. A leather sofa is not just a sofa. It is a decision. It is rather like buying a car- except one probably knows less about buying the former than the latter. That makes the great hunt (and it should be!) even more daunting.
You probably already have an idea of what style you would like or what would fit into your decor, be it Scandinavian, classic contemporary, transitional and the list goes on.
What should you look for when buying a leather sofa?
The main things to consider when buying a leather sofa:
- Choose your high quality leather.
- Choose a sturdy frame.
- S-spring cushion systems are best.
- Invest in quality fillings and mechanisms.
- Select ergonomic and comfortable designs.
Let Us now go into details of each point.
#1 Leather And Material QualityLeather constitutes the major part of a sofa's cost and looks. So it is the first criteria to look and study at during a purchase.
- Quality comes from the choice of materials, skills, craftsmanship and technology. After all, the ubiquitous sofa is a necessary investment that is also a surrogate persona for the home owner and leather always, always makes a statement. Leather as a natural material has long held a fascination for humans.
- When it comes to the watchwords durability, comfort and ease of cleaning in sofa buying, leather also still remains uncontested.
- Leather possesses great tensile strength; it is virtually impossible to puncture or tear without great force. A seam in leather is 50 percent stronger than a seam in fabric.
- Leather allows for the unimpeded flow of air and moisture, improving your seating affair. The choice of leather for your sofa also reduces allergens in your home.
- The graining of leather is unique to each individual hide.
- Besides aesthetics, leather is also unique in its personality.
- Performance, as leather becomes suppler and molds to your body without sagging or losing its form over time.
- If you have a family with young children and pets, opt for thicker leather upholstery that has had the application of a fine protective top coat to render it easy to clean and maintain.
- Top coats such as this will also reduce wear, staining and improve water resistance and light fastness.
- Semi-aniline leathers have been dyed with soluble dyes and are exceptionally soft, supple and luxurious to touch, with the natural character of the leathers shining through.
- It may seem obvious, but pick a colour that you will not get sick of.
- Likewise, pick a leather that is soft, supple and not too shiny; leather that is more matte is more understated and looks more elegant.
- Make sure the leather is dyed all the way through (a sign of good leather) so if it gets scratched, there will not be an unsightly white mark showing through.
- Check that the stitching is even and tight on the sofa and remember to look at the leather in both natural and artificial light.
- Italian leather has traditionally been held up to be the best due to their strictly regulated tanning process and leather artisans.
- Even the Italian cows are treated well: they are grass-fed and have fewer stretch marks.
- Choosing the right type of long-lasting leather for your sofa is key. Always choose either full or top-grain leather; these are from the tightest and strongest part of the hide.
#2 Frame Strength And Construction
Never skimp on the sofa’s frame construction; make sure it is made of solid hardwood such as oak, maple, walnut or poplar that has been kiln-dried. KUKA leather and fabric sofas are constructed with solid larch wood frames. This is top-of-the-line sofa construction material and ensures that the sofa does not bow, warp, crack or pop.
- Ask if the traditional frame joints have been screwed or doweled and glued and if the sofa corners have blocks to reinforce the strength of the frame.
- Avoid softwoods and engineered woods such as low-quality plywood and particleboard and staples.
#3 Good Suspension Means Comfort And Durability
Superior craftsmanship is also evidenced in the sofa’s suspension, which is like the engine of the car.
- Paying top dollar gets you the gold standard, the eight-way hand-tied spring system.
- The longevity of the tightly-spaced sinuous spring or S-system is comparable to that of the labour-intensive eight-way hand-tied spring system and is less likely to sag over time.
- These sinuous springs weave in an ‘S’ pattern and reinforce the frame as well as help to distribute weight and support evenly.
- Highly-tensioned webbing systems also provide a lot of support and will not sag.
#4 Cushion Filling & Mechanisms Equates To More Comfort
KUKA sofas are famous for comfortable ergonomic seats that is unmatched. This is especially evident in our electric and manual recliners. It's a formula that they own after years of research and development. The choice of filling is very subjective and difficult to achieve.
- Popular materials include feathers, foam, down and Dacron and various combinations of these materials are common.
- Down is premium and commands a premium price tag. A down and feathers blend is a great option.
- Check and avoid lower quality foam as it is not as resilient and will not provide good support.
- Test all mehanisms at the showrrom. Never buy a good expensive sofa online. It is plain stupid.
- Make sre the mechanisms are covered at least 3 years by a warranty.
#5 Get Your Showroom Visit’s Worth - Test Drive All The Models For Their Ergonomics
Sofas come in many designs. Most look good in pictures. But pictures can fool anyone. Head down to the showroom and ask the experts. Real experts always talk to the experts. Experts value good advice, kicking the tyres and walking the talk. If possible, try to shop around for a sofa with another person to get their opinion as well.
- Do not just sink down on the sofa for a quick seat- settle in, lean back and stretch out for a while like you would to get a proper gauge of how the sofa would handle for you.
- In fact, try out a variety of positions and really experience (and judge) the sofa’s depth, firmness of seat, height of headrest and angle of backrest. The sofa should not squeak or creak.
- Get your companion to lift one corner of the sofa and hold down the corner diagonally opposite it; if the sofa bows or twists, move on.
- If you can torque the sofa, especially the back and arms, move on.
- One of the most popular design shapes today are L- shaped sofas.L-shaped sofas are incredibly popular because of their looks and versatility in seating options.
- Shape also determines comfort. Sofa design and engineering have produced luxurious, ergonomic sofas with excellent lumbar support that recline and are adjustable for you to customise your ultimate comfort. Go to the showrrom and try both high and low back designs. Every body feels differently.
Your practical needs would be another important consideration in buying a leather sofa, as would your budget. For fine sofas, the initial investment in design and construction pays off in dividends over time; budget sofas tend not to hold up very well over time and you might have to repeat this entire process all over again.
The cardinal rule of sofa shopping is to get one with a good warranty covering the structure, suspension system, mechanisms and upholstery. A 10-year warranty is only reasonable for the sofa that you are buying. After all, manufacturers and retailers should be proud to stand behind the quality of their products.
A good leather sofa is crafted in ways that make the owners live and feel better. And then you can use your beautiful and comfortable leather sofa the way you are supposed to: without any worries at all.
- Top 10 Best Sofas You Can Buy In Singapore.
- Top 10 Best Electric and Manual Sofa Recliners in Singapore.
- Recliner Collection.
- Shop solid wood sofas.
- New - KUKA KM.886 Full Leather Sofa with Zero Gravity (1/2/3-Seater) (M-Series) (I)
- Foolproof Guide for Top Grain Leather Types And More.
- Caring for PU, PVC, and faux leather sofas and furniture.
- Semi-Aniline Leather vs. Full-Aniline Leather: Understanding the Difference.
- Leather Sofas - Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions (Singapore).
- Follow our facebook page for the latest deals.